Technician I Instruments Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Abbott Park, IL, US
Customer & Technical Support
40 hours per week
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You’ll also have access to:
- Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of .
- Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
- An excellent retirement savings plan with high employer contribution
- Tuition reimbursement, the Freedom 2 Save student debt program and FreeU education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
This position works out of our Lake Bluff, IL location in the GES, Global Engineering Services division.
In the Technician I Instruments position, you will maintain, calibrate, service, troubleshoot and repair Measuring and Test Equipment. This equipment is used in manufacturing; quality assurance; tech support; research and development; distribution center; and plant utilities areas. May be required to work on a variety of electrical; electronic; pneumatic; mechanical; process control systems; and optical types of equipment.
What You’ll Work On
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the quality system.
- Demonstrate knowledge of applicable safety/quality standard and practices
- Inspect equipment; standards; parts and mechanical components for errors; flaws; and certification/calibration status prior to use to insure proper operations.
- Investigate and make recommendations for solving hardware and measurement problems.
- Follow and work within GMP/GLP and/or Safety requirements at all times in accordance with established company policies.
- Resolve problems by gathering; analyzing; and interpreting data accurately.
- Attends instructor led training and perform assigned training curriculum prior to Due Dates to avoid late training instances.
- Attend offsite instructor led training on equipment utilized by customers and within areas of support.
- Process; complete; review and route Purchase Orders and Calibration Test Records / Maximo work orders to proper personnel according to procedures with accuracy and timeliness.
- Analyzes calibration/service data to develop appropriate correction factors and curves.
- Develop detailed reports for project assignments including as necessary; historical background; theoretical basis; nature of project/problem; method of solution; results or conclusions.
- Assist in design of process control or analytical systems for small to medium size projects.
- Design automated calibration systems; coordinate installation and start up of same; including pre and post calibrations according to validation protocols.
- Refer to manuals or other written and on-line reference material in the course of diagnosing equipment or machine malfunctions.
- Read and interpret equipment drawings; diagrams; etc.; in order to diagnose proper operations; preventive maintenance and repair of equipment.
- Identify wasteful or non-value added materials and activities
- Read and interpret schematics; wiring; diagrams; programs; etc. and ask questions; in order to fully understand and diagnose proper operations of equipment.
- Develop and utilize skills in various software programs such as Computerized Maintenance Management System (e.g. MAXIMO); word processing; spreadsheet; and presentations.
- Know who key customers are; understands their requirements; and interacts with them in a timely and professional manner.
- Actively search for ways to meet or exceed customer expectations and increase customer satisfaction.
- Required to share expertise with others in the group or area of support.
- Interact and communicate in a clear and concise manner with external customers, vendors, coworkers, supervisors and auditors.
- Provide on-the-job instruction; guidance; and/or training to other technicians of level I and II on how to perform tasks.
- Provide support to the manufacturing; tech support; quality assurance; research and development; distribution center; and plant utilities areas.
- You’ll be accountable for meeting our compliance standards including FDA, OSHA and Abbott policies and procedures.
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum of 2 years of of working in warehouse/inventory operations or related field.
- Two or more years of electrical, electronic, mechanical and optical theory and related test procedures to test, calibrate, troubleshoot, repair and modify various types of M&TE.
- Preferred requirements are an associate degree in electronics technology/equivalent.
- Comparable military service training may be acceptable if it is directly applicable to the job assignment.
- Management computer applications, Maximo along with a thorough knowledge of all relevant Abbott policies and procedures.
* Participants who complete a short wellness assessment qualify for FREE coverage in our HIP PPO medical plan. Free coverage applies in the next calendar year.
Learn more about our health and wellness benefits, which provide the security to help you and your family live full lives: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that can help you build your future and live your best life. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
The base pay for this position is $24.10 – $47.90 per hour. In specific locations, the pay range may vary from the range posted.
- electronics technology
- test equipment
- quality system
- process control
- process control systems
- test procedures
- computer applications
- preventive maintenance
- medical devices
- computerized maintenance management system
- customer satisfaction
Who We Are
PUT YOUR TALENTS TO WORK
Abbott values the leadership skills developed through military service and we have a broad range of functional areas to put your talents to work. Our organization is making a difference in the lives of the people we serve with a diverse offering of healthcare products. We have a strong veteran employee community to help with your transition from the military to the corporate world.