Technical Writer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Irving, TX, US
Medical and Clinical Affairs
Yes, 5 % of the Time
40 hours per week
Abbott is a global healthcare leader, creating breakthrough science to improve people’s health. We’re always looking towards the future, anticipating changes in medical science and technology.
Our diagnostic solutions are used in hospitals, laboratories, and clinics around the globe. The crucial information derived from our tests, instruments and informatics systems are often the first step in patient care decision making for hundreds of health conditions from heart attacks to blood disorders to infectious diseases and cancers.
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You’ll also have access to:
- Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of.
- Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
- An excellent retirement savings plan with high employer contribution
- Tuition reimbursement, the Freedom 2 Save student debt program and FreeU education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
- Qualified candidates must currently live in the Irving, TX area.
- Travel up to 5 %
What You’ll Work On
- Create technical written documentation in support of company’s medical device product lines for use by domestic and international customers, field service, technical support, customer support, and clinical applications personnel.
- These documents may include operator, service, and training manuals, directions for use, labels, technical service bulletins, or technical manufacturing procedures as required.
- Communicate with other writers, engineers, scientists, product managers, etc., to develop and understand technical content. Assist in document format and layout.
- Working within the confines of the Division Quality Assurance policy as well as domestic and international regulatory requirements, writes, edits, and formats a wide variety of service documentation.
- Collaborates with subject matter experts, among others, to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Recommends overall organization and layout, mode of presentation, publication methods, and related matters.
- Coordinates with graphic design, translation, and production personnel to meet publication schedules. Coordinates publication with ePublishing and document control groups.
- Troubleshoots existing processes and technologies. Supports all Company initiatives as identified by management and in support of Quality Management Systems (QMS), Environmental Management Systems (EMS), and other regulatory requirements.
- Complies with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, Company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments. Maintains positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors.
- Finds and corrects errors in spelling, punctuation, grammar, consistency, clarity, and accuracy. Utilizes established format/style guidelines.
- Works independently with some supervision.
- Bachelor’s Degree In a relevant technical discipline, Communications, Marketing, English or equivalent.
- An equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Minimum 3 years business experience
- Progressively more responsible experience as a technical writer in a medical or high technology (preferably biotechnology) environment.
- Must possess comprehensive written and verbal communication, interpersonal, presentation, analytical, project management skills and the ability to prioritize and handle a large volume of projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Must be highly organized and attentive to detail.
- Ability to work in a highly matrixed and geographically diverse business environment.
- Ability to work within a team and as an individual contributor in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Ability to leverage and/or engage others to accomplish projects.
- Master’s Degree Preferred
- Good working knowledge of personal computer software programs in Windows environment.
- Experience working in a broader enterprise/cross-division business unit model preferred.
- Some experience with technical writing software (e.g., MadCap Flare, Adobe FrameMaker) preferred.
* Participants who complete a short wellness assessment qualify for FREE coverage in our HIP PPO medical plan. Free coverage applies in the next calendar year.
Learn more about our health and wellness benefits, which provide the security to help you and your family live full lives: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that can help you build your future and live your best life. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
The base pay for this position is $56,700.00 – $113,300.00. In specific locations, the pay range may vary from the range posted.
- adobe framemaker
- technical writing software
- works independently
- madcap flare
- document control
- technical support
- quality management
- quality assurance
- quality management systems
- project management
Who We Are
PUT YOUR TALENTS TO WORK
Abbott values the leadership skills developed through military service and we have a broad range of functional areas to put your talents to work. Our organization is making a difference in the lives of the people we serve with a diverse offering of healthcare products. We have a strong veteran employee community to help with your transition from the military to the corporate world.