Sr. Cloud DevOps Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Sylmar, CA, US
Research & Development
Yes, 10 % of the Time
40 hours per week
Sr. Cloud DevOps Engineer
A healthy heart is essential to good health. That's why we're committed to advancing treatments for people with cardiovascular disease. As a global leader in Cardiac Rhythm Technologies, our breakthrough medical technologies help restore people's health so they can get back to living their best lives, faster. We focus on innovative technologies that can improve the way doctors treat people with heart arrhythmias, or irregular heartbeats.
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You’ll also have access to:
- Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of.
- Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
- An excellent retirement savings plan with high employer contribution
- Tuition reimbursement, the Freedom 2 Save student debt program and FreeU education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
Our location in Sylmar, CA or Sunnyvale, CA currently has an opportunity for a Sr. Cloud DevOps Engineer in our Cardiac Rhythm Management division.
About the role:
We are seeking a high caliber Senior Cloud DevOps Engineer. Working under general supervision, performs a variety of development and production operation activities including, but not limited to, planning, and coordinating software deployment, implementation of various services involving on-prem and Cloud, developing and maintaining software tools, supporting and troubleshooting applications. You will be working on various Cloud services involving PAAS and IAAS services. You will also contribute to our existing operations hosted on-prem which includes managing several java applications, support middleware technologies, continuous automation, adapt Site reliability engineering (SRE) principles to operations problems and participate in quality, compliance, security initiatives.
About the team:
The DevOps Engineering team provides a fast-paced, dynamic work environment where engineers work closely to provide software services to patients and physicians. You will collaborate with other engineers in Architecture, Development, Product, IT, Systems engineering teams to continue finding new areas that can be improved by bringing a DevOps/SRE mindset to product offerings. We’re passionate about building products that improve the quality of life for patients. We like to learn along the way and depend on everyone’s input to help us grow as a team. Employees act on their strong desire to make a difference, partner with others and put ideas into action. Employees are engaged by a work culture that is team oriented, fast-paced and progressive.
- Has a complete understanding of the software development process, participates in the development of the software process, can identify shortcomings in the process and recommend modifications to address process issues.
- Provides technical guidance to less experienced engineers and serves as technical expert. Explains the system to them and
ensures that they understand their areas of responsibility. Serves as a mentor for less experienced engineers.
- Proactively takes on responsibility.
- Communicates with outside decision makers in a manner appropriate to the goals of the communication and has effective presentation skills.
- Able to convey the implications of changes to internal and external stakeholders who have differing levels of understanding
of the process.
- Integrates subsystems and components in total systems designs; develops specifications from customer requirements.
- Provides effort estimates for software functionality. Plans, conducts, and technically directs projects or sub-systems of
significant projects. Assesses areas impacted by new feature requests and determine approach to accommodate new
- Acts as a mentor to several engineers on the program. Explains the system to them and ensures that they understand their areas of responsibility.
- Helps implement leading technologies in a technical field. Incorporates advancements in technology on current project.
- Develops High Level Design for entire software application, which includes ability to assign capabilities to components, negotiate interactions between components, and identify and resolve component interaction issues. Review at the feature level.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering discipline, computer science, related engineering field or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- 5 years of relevant experience in software engineering or a master’s degree in a related field and 3 years of relevant experience.
- Experience in Microsoft Azure Cloud platform such as implementing, configuring, and tuning services involving Microservices, Azure Kubernetes Cluster, Function apps, IOT HUB, APIM, Key Vault, F5 Load Balancers, Azure Express route etc
- Experience with build and deployment process involving CI/CD, Bitbucket, Jfrog Artifactory, Jenkins etc
- Experience in configuration management tools such as Chef
- Experience in java, middleware applications operations and administration. This includes install, configure, troubleshoot, and deploy applications in an enterprise environment involving Jboss, IBM MQ, Active MQ, Liferay portal, CA Siteminder, WSO2 API manager
- Experience supporting development and production environments, on-call support, Health monitoring
- Good understanding of Architecture, High Availability configurations, Load balancing, Fault tolerance, Resiliency, Disaster recovery
- Good understanding of databases such as Oracle and Postgres
- Good understanding of operating system and networking
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with effective communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive
- The ability to interact and communicate collaboratively at the highest technical levels with customers, vendors, partners and all members of staff is required. Continual knowledge transfer, training and mentoring of junior staff is also expected.
- Good understanding of software programming, software development, database management, networking concepts, cybersecurity, and cloud computing.
- Must have demonstrated personal computer skills and be able to perform complex word processing/spreadsheet tasks to perform documentation, presentation, and analysis activities.
- Ability to work within a team and as an individual contributor in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Strong verbal and written communications with ability to effectively communicate at multiple levels in the organization.
- Multitasks, prioritizes and meets deadlines in timely manner.
- Strong organizational and follow-up skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Familiarity with logging tools, such as Graylog, Splunk
- Familiarity with monitoring tools such as Applications manager, SolarWinds, Prometheus
- Knowledge and experience in patching, security remediations, security hardening, threat modeling and pen testing
- Proficiency with SQL queries and database technologies involving Oracle, Postgres
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
The base pay for this position is $82,100.00 – $164,100.00. In specific locations, the pay range may vary from the range posted.
- software development process
- microsoft azure cloud
Who We Are
PUT YOUR TALENTS TO WORK
Abbott values the leadership skills developed through military service and we have a broad range of functional areas to put your talents to work. Our organization is making a difference in the lives of the people we serve with a diverse offering of healthcare products. We have a strong veteran employee community to help with your transition from the military to the corporate world.