Senior Process Scientist Operations – Purifications Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Abbott Park, IL, US
Research & Development
Yes, 5 % of the Time
40 hours per week
Abbott is a global healthcare leader, creating breakthrough science to improve people’s health. We’re always looking towards the future, anticipating changes in medical science and technology.
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You’ll also have access to:
- Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of.
- Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
- An excellent retirement savings plan with high employer contribution
- Tuition reimbursement, the Freedom 2 Save student debt program and FreeU education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
Our location in Abbott Park, IL currently has an opportunity for a Senior Process Scientist Operations - Purifications.
Will lead and consult on multiple complex projects defined for process investigations; design changes; resolving production issues and improving product availability and profitability. Leads a cross functional team with the required product/process knowledge to assess impact and develop plan. Focus will be in protein purification with one or more of fermentation, cell culture or recombinant protein experience.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Responsible for implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the quality system.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the application of the Quality Policy through daily activities.
- Maintain vigilance to ensure adherence to the Quality Policy and system procedures by promptly reporting noncompliance issues to management.
- Work in a safe and environmentally responsible manner.
- Develop and apply operations and process knowledge to area of support.
- Use sound judgment, appropriate scientific methods, and thorough data analysis.
- Accurately documents work
- Conceive, plan, design, execute, and document projects/activities efficiently and in conformance with applicable OPs.
Process and Patient Focus:
- Anticipates, identifies, and resolves internal and external customer issues through understanding of production processes and its impact on process yield, product performance and clinical utility.
- Demonstrates effective verbal and written communication skills within and outside immediate area. Shares and enhances own knowledge by mentoring and training others.
- Demonstrates fiscal responsibility through actionable recommendations and accomplishments such as improving production process yields, decreasing production costs, and maintaining product availability.
- Aligns resources with strategic business priorities.
- May perform other duties as assigned
- Achieves team and individual performance goals.
- Generates and manages multiple project timelines and resources.
- Mentors’ others in the areas of experimental design, production process analysis and improvement, technical writing skills for data analysis, investigation documentation and change control.
- Proactively identifies opportunities to improve compliance with QSR / ISO requirements. Confronts issues, motivates, and influences others, negotiates, and manages crisis to attain desired results.
- Listens actively, fosters information exchange; provides scientific and operational information effectively, establishes networks; and presents/defends positions.
- Develops strong networks throughout the Division.
- Inspires others toward the achievement of team/project objectives.
- Operates with integrity and respect, actively resolves conflicts.
- Participates in assessing and responding to internal and external changes.
- Recognizes and promotes acceptance of changes in internal/external environment.
- Makes timely scientific, operational, and business decisions, appropriately elevates high-risk decisions.
- M.S. Degree required in a scientific discipline (Chemical Engineering; Chemistry; Biology or Biochemistry) OR an equivalent combination of education and work experience
- 1 - 5 years’ experience in a related field.
- Extensive protein purification experience using AKTA systems, including scripting Unicorn text instructions
- Advanced degree preferred. (Advanced degree(s) may offset required years of experience)
- Expertise in the following disciplines at an industrial scale: protein chromatography methodologies from cell culture and recombinant protein production (including size exclusion, Protein A and affinity chromatography).
- Demonstrated ability to apply operations knowledge in timely resolution of product / process technical issues.
- Experience in managing complex technical projects and effectively communicating status and findings, both orally and written at a professional level
- Technical problem prevention and resolution.
- Knowledge of experimental design and/or statistical tools and/or project management tools.
- Demonstrated ability to apply knowledge in timely resolution of product / process technical issues.
- Leading project teams and/or mentoring / teaching others.
- Understanding change control impact on design / validation of products and/or processes.
- Operations (Manufacturing/Quality).
- Computer and Data Management.
- Working in project teams for multiple complex projects.
- Change Control and/or investigation processes and/or laboratory skills.
- Acquiring, analyzing, and interpreting data from a variety of sources.
* Participants who complete a short wellness assessment qualify for FREE coverage in our HIP PPO medical plan. Free coverage applies in the next calendar year.
Learn more about our health and wellness benefits, which provide the security to help you and your family live full lives: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that can help you build your future and live your best life. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
The base pay for this position is $80,700.00 – $161,300.00. In specific locations, the pay range may vary from the range posted.
- protein purification
- chemical engineering
- protein production
- laboratory skills
- cell culture
- data analysis
- production process analysis
- experimental design
- protein chromatography
- quality system
- affinity chromatography
- technical writing
- data management
- akta systems
- project management
- general office duties
Who We Are
PUT YOUR TALENTS TO WORK
Abbott values the leadership skills developed through military service and we have a broad range of functional areas to put your talents to work. Our organization is making a difference in the lives of the people we serve with a diverse offering of healthcare products. We have a strong veteran employee community to help with your transition from the military to the corporate world.