Senior Engineer - Electrical Reliability (1st Shift) Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Abbott Park, IL, US
Yes, 5 % of the Time
40 hours per week
Abbott is a global healthcare leader, creating breakthrough science to improve people’s health. We’re always looking towards the future, anticipating changes in medical science and technology.
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You’ll also have access to:
- Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of .
- Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
- An excellent retirement savings plan with high employer contribution
- Tuition reimbursement, the Freedom 2 Save student debt program and FreeU education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
An engineering professional who, working with little or no supervision, applies scientific knowledge, engineering knowledge, mathematics, and ingenuity to complete assignments related to a specific technical field (Electrical Maintenance) or discipline (Electrical). Senior Engineer has general knowledge of other related disciplines beyond their own. This position is involved in the overall lifecycle of electrical capital assets (designing, delivering, operating, maintaining, and decommissioning) in the most productive and cost effective manner.
Manage the preventive and predictive maintenance programs (Electrical), provide technical support and recommendations directed at maintenance support, support the department and plant maintenance budgets, coordinate plant electrical shutdown assignments, provide capital project input and support as well as overseeing the maintenance resources necessary to assure the operations plan is met and/or exceeded while maintaining a zero incident safety mindset, teamwork attitude and excellent customer service. This position works out of our Abbott Park location in the GES Global Engineering Services division and is 1st Shift.
What You’ll Work On
- Independently plans and conducts small- to medium-size assigned projects within engineering speciality requiring conventional types of plans, investigations, and/or equipment. Manages multiple, often concurrent, projects and meets deadlines. - Maintains project controls and reporting for cost, scope and schedule; develops execution strategy including procurement; balances multiple demands within an assignment, e.g. executes contingency plans to recover from schedule slippage and financial overruns.
- Facilitates the definition of a project scope with clients. - Establishes workable and trackable schedules. Works with staff, outside firms, and/or consultants to agree on plans and timetables for a specific project; identifies pinch points or conflicts, e.g. determines verification and tracking mechanisms; sets performance metrics; assigns responsibilities for team members; develops a budget. - Independently performs economic analysis and feasibility studies related to project alternatives. Responsible for achieving the project's financial targets in support of business objectives.
- Anticipates future directions. Benchmarks internally and externally. Recognizes changes in the environment and present resources as indicators of future problems and opportunities; prepares for such eventualities, e.g. initiates plan to acquire new engineering skills required by changes in technology. Assists with deployment of predictive and reliability centered maintenance strategies. - Independently executes, and/or directs others in the execution of, the design of products/processes/equipment/systems/facilities by applying new engineering theories, concepts, and techniques within the discipline. - Designs and leads complex experiments, often with multiple variables, gathers data, and performs preliminary analysis. Reports findings. Prepares and communicates recommendations and respective action plans.
- Produces unique and cost-effective results. Establishes alternate use possibilities and incorporates flexibility; balances system costs with benefits provided; oversees design work of internal and external consultants, e.g. integrates complex manufacturing processes and defines product flow within regulatory constraints. - Integrates financial with technical data. Analyzes complex interdisciplinary problems and identifies their impact; establishes probabilities; draws conclusions reflecting broad business needs; understands the organizational and financial impact of recommendations, e.g. applies regulatory requirements and recommends the best course of action; sets complex design and process requirements. - Improves methods/designs/processes. Recognizes and implements good ideas/innovations/cost reductions; consistently generates/adopts original solutions to problems and reduces them to practices, e.g. implements better methods to reduce component cost; creatively applies others' design ideas.
- Predicts patterns/trends. Grasps complexities and sees relationships among data; determines consequences and alternatives; makes recommendations; analyzes problems from multiple perspectives.
- Improves maintenance processes. Recognizes and implements process improvements and cost reductions; creatively applies others’ ideas.
- Facilitates root cause analysis for equipment downtime.
- Develops and executes reliability studies and evaluations of equipment robustness.
- Mentors others by sharing technical expertise and providing feedback and guidance.
- Interfaces frequently with inter-organizational and outside customer contacts. Represents the organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects. - Prepares written communication. Conveys information effectively through formal and informal documents with team members, designers, technicians, and other technical personnel, both internal and external to
Abbott, using appropriate communication protocols, e.g. develops proposals; conducts reviews; provides audience targeted content; prepares project summaries and design documentation. Obtains approval to proceed with proposed action plans. - Establishes networks. Follows through on project goals; contributes willingly and incorporates the ideas of others; shares resources, knowledge, and accountability to benefit the objectives of the business, e.g. participates in team meetings; serves as a functional expert in cross-project design review. - Builds relationships. Initiates and cultivates open, honest relationships with colleagues, customers, contractors, and vendors by establishing rapport, developing an understanding of others' needs, promoting common goals, and following through on commitments, e.g. offers assistance; interacts effectively with stakeholders at appropriate levels of the organization. - Resolves underlying problems. Identifies full range of customer/client needs and proposes solutions to address them; makes alterations in products or services to better meet (recognized or unrecognized) customer need, e.g. partners with an outside vendor to provide a better deliverable.
- Complies with all regulations and standards for quality, Environmental, Health, Safety and Energy (EHS&E) Global Policies, Abbott Engineering Standards, and other governance areas as applicable. - Ensures quality and effectiveness of assigned tasks. - Has awareness of the potential consequences (defects and failure modes) of design changes to established processes. - Identifies areas of risk with respect to compliance.
Additional Responsibilities May Include:
- Develops procedures and standards. - Coordinates with technical support personnel to conduct prototype or experimental runs of products or processes. - Directs the efforts of others such as technicians and outside resources. - Performs tasks such as writing Requests for Capital Expenditures (RCEs), safety/quality checklists, scope documents, etc.
- Develops and executes validation protocols. - Resolves problems, such as production process deviations, vendor deviations from specification, urgent outof-stock replacements, and crisis situations requiring fast, astute decisions with rapid implementation by utilizing technical training and experience.
- Provides training on systems.
- Represents engineering on corporate and division task forces.
Supervisory Responsibilities May Include: - Provides mentoring in technical and organizational areas within work group; monitors the improvement of other engineer(s)/technicians, e.g. delegates challenging tasks to others to help them develop; provides constructive and timely feedback. - Particpates in the evaluation of assigned staff/project team members and in the identification of development needs. - May supervise other engineers or technicians.
Position Accountability / Scope:
- Works under general direction. Independently determines and develops approach to solutions. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives. - Identifies and quantifies technical risks and their consequences relative to the success of part of a project; recommends apporpriate action, e.g. reports calculations and recommendations in terms concrete enough for management to make an informed decision. - Decisions or recommendations would typically achieve department/project objectives. - Drives functional performance that ensures the highest standards in quality, customer service, and regulatory compliance are met.
- Bachelors Degree in Electrical engineering science, or closely related discipline is desired, or equivalent electrical technical experience plus demonstrated competence, with a desired 5+ years of significant engineering and/or operational experience.
- Has demonstrated competency within Electrical discipline. Possesses a strong technical knowledge and application of concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Has demonstrated competency with financial systems and in fiscal control.
- Candidate must successfully demonstrate/possess a strong work ethic, safety conscious philosophy (i.e. zero incident mindset), strong customer service attitude, excellent communication skills, initiative, strong technical knowledge, planning and organizing, teamwork, attention to detail, strong problem solving skills and prior knowledge of computer systems (i.e. Windows desktop software).
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- Previous experience as Lead Electrician, Foreman/Supervisor with medium voltage substation operations and maintenance experience – preferred.
- Trained/Experienced in inspection, cleaning, testing, servicing, installation, set-up and repair of facility electrical distribution up to and above 600 volts – preferred.
- Experience in a similar role as High Voltage Construction/Maintenance Electrician or Electrical Foremen/Site Engineer – beneficial.
- Familiarity with “reliability centered maintenance’ is preferred.
- Has a technical background in health care, nutritional products, laboratory diagnostics, medical devices, pharmaceutical, or similar industries (preferred).
* Participants who complete a short wellness assessment qualify for FREE coverage in our HIP PPO medical plan. Free coverage applies in the next calendar year.
Learn more about our health and wellness benefits, which provide the security to help you and your family live full lives: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that can help you build your future and live your best life. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
The base pay for this position is $71,300.00 – $142,700.00. In specific locations, the pay range may vary from the range posted.
- electrical engineering
- project controls
- electrical maintenance
- reliability centered maintenance
- root cause analysis
- project management
- technical issues
- regulatory compliance
- technical data
- production process
- design documentation
- solutions to problems
- technical support
- regulatory requirements
- financial systems
- plant maintenance
- proficient in microsoft excel
- project design
- feasibility studies
- written communication
Who We Are
PUT YOUR TALENTS TO WORK
Abbott values the leadership skills developed through military service and we have a broad range of functional areas to put your talents to work. Our organization is making a difference in the lives of the people we serve with a diverse offering of healthcare products. We have a strong veteran employee community to help with your transition from the military to the corporate world.