Senior Digital Program Manager Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Chicago, IL, US
Yes, 5 % of the Time
40 hours per week
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 115,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You’ll also have access to:
- Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of .
- Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
- An excellent retirement savings plan with high employer contribution
- Tuition reimbursement, the Freedom 2 Save student debt program and FreeU education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
This position works out of our Lake Bluff, IL location in the Digital Technology Services Division.
What You’ll Work On
- Ownership and Execution/ Outcomes
- Lead a large program or functional area (engineering) within an overall program as the owner of that area’s performance and outcomes.
- Establish project goals and business case.
- Assess the degree to which changes to scope, issues and risks will affect projects working with division or senior/executive management and sponsor to gain agreement for resolution
- Measure performance to assure the project is progressing as compared to original plan and budget
- Leads project managers and teams in developing and executing a program plan ensuring that authorized resources are obtained to make certain that all activities are performed.
- Gather lessons learned and obtain final project approval from sponsor and stakeholders.
- Lead a team of designers and engineers (front end engineers) that are part of the delivery of programs.
- Communicate project progress by producing project reports to provide timely and accurate project status and decision support information to Project Team, Division, Cross Division and Executive management. Makes recommendations based on current project status to resolve issues.
- Coordinate resources to ensure program and business needs are addressed through proactive priority management with business leaders.
- Interface with senior management on significant matters often requiring the coordination of activity across organization units
- Direct program execution by assigning tasks, tracking schedules, identifying risks and developing and executing contingency plans
- Provide project management consultation and mentorship of the various project phases and the deliverables such as: development and execution of the project schedules; baselines; analyzing critical paths; schedule management; resource planning; risk/issue identification and control; project change requests; weekly and monthly status reporting
- Resolve program issues by working with product managers, customers, and partners
- Stakeholder management
- Financial and budget management responsibility of 0-8MM or greater (does not imply signature authority)
- Strategy and Collaboration
- Liaise with commercial, legal and regulatory partners for aligning on vision, outcomes, goals, roadmaps, business case
- Draft creation of program plans, estimate program effort, resource requirements by using standard estimating techniques and tools and by working with appropriate staff to understand scope and effort
- Incorporate voice of the customer to projects and programs; understand the user experience, and the evolving needs and workflows of our customers in the digital age.
- Provide support for Project Capital spending requests including delivery estimates.
- Manage and mentor project managers, BSAs taking responsibility for their growth, development, and work
- Ensure program team adheres to philosophy and culture of lean, iterative mindset with quality focus
- Generate ideas to improve team efficiency, effectiveness and impact.
- Motivate and coach the team to reach goals and achieve deliverables
- Assist in continuing to develop and implement standard project management process methods, and provide training of these methods to ensure uniform delivery practices.
- Communicate program status, by preparing standard status reports and participating in departmental, program and project status updates meetings
- Serve as a role model by demonstrating a commitment to business priorities and high performance.
- Communicates with the team, program, product leadership and key stakeholders frequently and effectively
- Bachelors Degree in business administration or another discipline relevant for the role
- 10+ years of experience
- Project Management experience in a complex matrix organization
- Experience of working in agile, DevOPs, mobile and cloud technologies is a must
- Experience working with and leading front end engineers and designers to drive outcomes in projects.
- Experience navigating large organizations and an understanding of complex stakeholder relationships is a must
- Strong leadership skills and a passion for translating findings into strategic recommendations
- Proven ability to design and optimize processes.
- Demonstrated ability to assess customer/client needs, creatively approach solutions, decide and influence appropriate courses of action.
- Ability to define areas of potential value through user research, market research, and industry / technical understanding
- Ability to look at a set of needs across the business and identify key questions, themes, and potential for business impact
- Skilled messenger who can create compelling product and use case strategies and gain buy-in across teams and functions
- Mature communicator capable of ruthless prioritization, gracious compromise, and quick decision-making.
- Ability to engage and inspire a team around shared vision and priorities, motivating them to seek improvement opportunities, develop skills, and deliver value.
- Masters degree or MBA
- Commercial experience and/or healthcare experience considered a plus
- PMP certification is considered a plus
* Participants who complete a short wellness assessment qualify for FREE coverage in our HIP PPO medical plan. Free coverage applies in the next calendar year.
Learn more about our health and wellness benefits, which provide the security to help you and your family live full lives: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that can help you build your future and live your best life. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
The base pay for this position is $118,000.00 – $236,000.00. In specific locations, the pay range may vary from the range posted.
- project management experience
- priority management
- stakeholder management
- technical understanding
- business administration
- project management process
- resource planning
- schedule management
- pmp certification
- status reporting
- cloud technologies
- user research
- executive management
- shared vision
- quality focus
- product leadership
- commercial experience
- change requests
- medical devices
Who We Are
PUT YOUR TALENTS TO WORK
Abbott values the leadership skills developed through military service and we have a broad range of functional areas to put your talents to work. Our organization is making a difference in the lives of the people we serve with a diverse offering of healthcare products. We have a strong veteran employee community to help with your transition from the military to the corporate world.