Regional Incoming Quality Laboratory Supervisor - Altavista, VA Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Danville, VA, US
Yes, 10 % of the Time
40 hours per week
Abbott’s Nutrition Division develops science-based nutrition products for people of all ages, from helping babies and children grow, to keeping adult bodies strong and active. Millions of people around the world count on our leading brands – including Similac®, PediaSure®, Pedialyte®, Ensure®, Glucerna® and ZonePerfect® – to help get the nutrients they need to live their healthiest life.
Altavista, Va., is one of Abbott’s largest nutrition manufacturing plants equipped with advanced technology to ensure efficient production. Working here will make you feel like you’re part of a family that works together to make a difference and help nourish millions of families around the world.
WORKING AT ABBOTT
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Fast paced work environment where your safety is our priority
- Production areas that are clean, well-lit and temperature-controlled
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs, Medical Benefits start day 1
- Vacation – 3 weeks accrued vacation (1st yr is prorated) + vacation buy program + 3 personal days + 10 paid holidays
- Company Paid Pension Plan
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match of 5%
- Tuition reimbursement, the Freedom 2 Save student debt program and FreeU education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Our Global Supplier Quality Assurance (GSQA) group currently has an opportunity for a Regional Incoming Quality Laboratory Supervisor. The role is based in Altavista, VA.
The primary function of the GSQA group is to ensure a high-quality supply of incoming materials through evaluation, monitoring and development of Abbott Nutrition (AN) ingredient and packaging suppliers worldwide. GSQA is responsible for working and communicating with suppliers as part of an ongoing supplier management process. GSQA supports systems such as: supplier qualification, supplier development, supplier monitoring, and supplier event management. In addition, GSQA supports the plant quality assurance, operations and purchasing groups globally to ensure that incoming material documentation involving acceptance, testing/release, and CAPA are compliant to Corporate and regulatory requirements.
What You’ll Work On
The Regional Incoming Quality Laboratory Supervisor will exhibit excellent communication and leadership skills and will be expected to manage projects and responsibilities of a potentially complex nature, including:
- Supervise a team of direct reports to assure timely and accurate review of supplier documentation for ingredient and packaging materials, as well as the testing of printed materials to be used by the AN North America manufacturing sites.
- Maintain communication with the AN North America manufacturing sites to ensure that ingredient and packaging material documentation, and printed materials are available to support site production needs.
- Support direct reports with supplier communication related to ingredient and packaging material documentation issues and monitoring of supplier adherence to ingredient and packaging material documentation requirements.
- Initiate/support initiation of material nonconformance documentation, when needed.
- Responsible for onboarding, ongoing training, and performance monitoring of direct reports.
- Support GSQA and/or cross-functional teams with the coordination of material holds and isolations, if needed.
- Support strategic projects associated with GSQA and organization initiatives and goals.
- Support maintenance of GSQA policies and procedures and ingredient and packaging material acceptance plans, and ensure that these documents are current and compliant to internal policies and regulations.
- Work directly with GSQA and Purchasing on ingredient and packaging supplier issues, when needed.
- Responsible for oversight of Regional Incoming QA purchasing activities.
- Manage service agreements for equipment used for printed material testing.
- Maintain inventory system components pertaining to ingredient receipt and release.
This role will report to the Program Manager - Ingredient Supplier QA and will lead a team of approximately 10 direct reports.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, technical or science field, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- 3 years or more of experience in operations or quality assurance in the food manufacturing industry.
- Knowledge of food processing, GMP/GLP procedures and techniques, basic knowledge of food science technology.
- Ability to work independently and/or function with minimal supervision.
- Ability to manage several activities/projects at once, to organize/prioritize work, to meet deadlines and to prepare plans and reports.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of accuracy and analytical thinking.
- Ability to effectively organize and communicate technical information.
- Ability to successfully interact and communicate with internal cross-functional teams, and all organizational levels.
- College chemistry and microbiology preferred.
- Completion of Low Acid Food School course is preferred.
- 10% of the time
* Participants who complete a short wellness assessment qualify for FREE coverage in our HIP PPO medical plan. Free coverage applies in the next calendar year.
Learn more about our health and wellness benefits, which provide the security to help you and your family live full lives: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that can help you build your future and live your best life. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity and a Military/Veteran Friendly employer.
The base pay for this position is $62,700.00 – $125,300.00. In specific locations, the pay range may vary from the range posted.
- quality assurance
- supplier management
- food manufacturing
- supplier development
- food science
- analytical thinking
- performance monitoring
- work independently
- food processing
Who We Are
PUT YOUR TALENTS TO WORK
Abbott values the leadership skills developed through military service and we have a broad range of functional areas to put your talents to work. Our organization is making a difference in the lives of the people we serve with a diverse offering of healthcare products. We have a strong veteran employee community to help with your transition from the military to the corporate world.