Principal Electrical Engineer - Columbus, OH Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Sturgis, MI, US
Yes, 25 % of the Time
40 hours per week
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 115,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Nourish the world and your career as part of the Nutrition team at Abbott.
Our Nutrition business develops science-based nutrition products for people of all ages, from helping babies and children grow, to keeping adult bodies strong and active. Millions of people around the world count on our leading brands – including Similac®, PediaSure®, Pedialyte®, Ensure®, Glucerna® and ZonePerfect® – to help get the nutrients they need to live their healthiest life.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Safe, clean, and functional work environments where you can perform to the best of your ability
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives, and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness, and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
- Flexible working options
WHAT YOU’LL DO
As a principal electrical engineer, you will:
- Provide technical leadership on engineering and design, front end planning/development, implementation, optimization, commissioning and validation of facility and utility equipment, and electrical power systems infrastructure.
- Leads the technical execution of multiple concurrent medium- to large-size capital projects for Abbott Nutrition plants in North America.
- Plan and develop project scope, budget/cost, manufacturability and constructability, risks, schedule, and commissioning/validation considerations while collaborating with cross-functional teams.
- Oversee and develop the technical deliverables for a system design including equipment sizing, single line diagrams, three lines, power risers, specifications, calculations, and other documents in support of a project.
- Analyze performance data, benchmark internally and externally, anticipate future directions, assess, and implement opportunities to improve utility reliability and reduce energy usage in the manufacturing operations across the North American sites.
- Interface cross functionally to support energy management (ISO 50001) and sustainability associated targets for energy and carbon emissions.
- Interface frequently with inter-organizational and outside customer contacts. Represent the organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects or initiatives.
- Provide technical support to the North America manufacturing sites, including existing system issues as well as design optimization and technology development as part of continuous improvement. Act as a subject matter expert technical influencer to senior leadership and stakeholders for business initiatives.
- Develop power delivery plans for short- and long-term planning of electric utility distribution systems.
- Lead and support implementation and deployment of the replacement or enhancement of power system and monitoring networks at the North America manufacturing sites.
- Support the coordination and execution of preventative maintenance activities for the plants power systems.
- Provide and support technical direction to the safety, maintenance, and training organizations to ensure the North America manufacturing sites are compliant with NFPA 70E and all applicable electrical safety standards and all relevant site personnel are trained to the appropriate level.
- Design power and lighting systems, including all associated circuitry and ensure compliance with the National Electric Code and accepted industry recommended practices such as NFPA, API, IEEE and FM Global.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Professional Engineer Licensure in the USA or Canada (Preferred).
- 10+ years of significant engineering and/or operational experience with implementation of capital projects.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and expertise of electrical power and high voltage (480V – 15 kV) systems including incoming electrical feeds, switchgear, substations, transformers, and MCCs as well as supporting facility/utility systems and infrastructure such as boilers, compressed air, chilled water, HVAC, refrigeration, and process equipment sensitive to power disruptions.
- Experience working in an FDA/USDA regulated facility with cGMP facility/utility design and construction.
- Experience in managing engineering firms, vendors, suppliers and contractors.
- Experience in qualified and validated facilities, processes and systems.
- Experience in project management including scope, schedule, budget and risk management.
- Strong communication skills and interacts well with diverse groups within operations, quality, engineering and maintenance, and maintains strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
The base pay for this position is $90,700.00 – $181,300.00. In specific locations, the pay range may vary from the range posted.
- Electrical Engineering
- Power System
- Electrical Power Systems
- Electric Utility
- Power Delivery
- Utility Systems
- NFPA 70E
- Utility Design
- Capital Projects
- Distribution Systems
- Single Line Diagrams
- ISO 50001
- Energy Management
- Technical Leadership
Who We Are
PUT YOUR TALENTS TO WORK
Abbott values the leadership skills developed through military service and we have a broad range of functional areas to put your talents to work. Our organization is making a difference in the lives of the people we serve with a diverse offering of healthcare products. We have a strong veteran employee community to help with your transition from the military to the corporate world.