Manager, Environmental Health and Safety Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Irving, TX, US
Yes, 10 % of the Time
40 hours per week
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 115,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Manager, Environmental Health and Safety
Abbott is a global healthcare leader, creating breakthrough science to improve people’s health. We’re always looking towards the future, anticipating changes in medical science and technology.
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You’ll also have access to:
- Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of.
- Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
- An excellent retirement savings plan with high employer contribution
- Tuition reimbursement, the Freedom 2 Save student debt program and FreeU education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
This position works out of our Irving, TX location in the Core Diagnostics Division. Our diagnostic solutions are used in hospitals, laboratories, and clinics around the globe. The crucial information derived from our tests, instruments and informatics systems are often the first step in patient care decision making for hundreds of health conditions from heart attacks to blood disorders to infectious diseases and cancers.
As the Manager, Environmental Health and Safety, you’ll report to and work with the Core Diagnostics Dallas Campus Facilities Manager supporting three buildings (600,000 sq ft, 1500+ personnel). You’ll lead a team of EHS professionals to manage, develop, administer and implement programs designed to reduce risks and minimize losses associated with employee safety, industrial hygiene, fire protection, environmental issues, and regulatory compliance. You will have responsibility to ensure campus compliance with all Corporate, Divisional, local, state, and federal regulations pertaining to Environmental, Health and Safety.
What You’ll Work On
- Identified as EHS Subject Matter Expert. Participates or leads cross-divisional teams to develop and align procedures/standards and best practices with focus on continuous improvement across the organization.
- Responsible for environmental management, monitoring and reporting for the plant, including ISO 14001 certification and ongoing surveillance.
- Leads and mentors EHS professionals of varying experience levels by sharing technical expertise and providing feedback and guidance. Participates in evaluation of assigned staff and works with individuals to define growth and development opportunities.
- Interacts with both senior management and external personnel on significant EHS matters. Prepares and reviews written communication. Conveys information effectively through formal and informal documents and meetings. Exhibits advanced ability to apply concepts of careful communication.
- Owns safety and environmental training for the campus of 1500+ personnel.
- Interfaces with Corporate, Division, intra-plant and with community organizations/agencies regarding EHS topics.
- Provides campus reporting for compliance and management business review.
- Conducts or reviews incident investigations and develops corrective actions.
- Completes Request for Capital Expenditure reviews for campus capital projects.
- Identifies and quantifies EHS risks and their consequences relative to overall business goals and recommends appropriate actions.
- Benchmarks internally and externally. Keeps abreast of current EHS trends and practices. Evaluates and integrates the information to define potential effect on the plant.
- Works with Facilities Manager to initiate, prioritize and assign or execute EHS projects. Manages multiple, often concurrent projects and meets cost, scope, and schedule requirements.
- Responsible for the overall EHS performance of the campus.
- Responsible for internal and external EHS audits and inspections.
- Accountable for the facility EHS plan, site EHS procedure accuracy, training modules, effectiveness, and implementation.
- Bachelors Degree in Safety, Health, Environmental Sciences, Technical or related discipline; OR an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Minimum 5 years experience in environmental, health and safety is required.
- A minimum of 2 years supervisory experience is required.
- Masters Degree is preferred.
- Five to twelve years’ experience in environmental, health and safety is required.
- Must possess sound judgment and problem-solving skills, strong written and verbal communication skills, excellent interpersonal and consulting skills, good organizational and computer skills, and consistent focus on building a strong and respectful culture of safety and environmental excellence.
* Participants who complete a short wellness assessment qualify for FREE coverage in our HIP PPO medical plan. Free coverage applies in the next calendar year.
Learn more about our health and wellness benefits, which provide the security to help you and your family live full lives: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that can help you build your future and live your best life. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
The base pay for this position is $90,700.00 – $181,300.00. In specific locations, the pay range may vary from the range posted.
- safety and environmental
- employee safety
- iso 14001
- ehs audits
- continuous improvement
- regulatory compliance
- capital projects
- industrial hygiene
- consulting skills
- written communication
- business review
Who We Are
PUT YOUR TALENTS TO WORK
Abbott values the leadership skills developed through military service and we have a broad range of functional areas to put your talents to work. Our organization is making a difference in the lives of the people we serve with a diverse offering of healthcare products. We have a strong veteran employee community to help with your transition from the military to the corporate world.