Electrician II Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Waukegan, IL, US
40 hours per week
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 115,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You’ll also have access to:
- Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of.
- Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
- An excellent retirement savings plan with high employer contribution
- Tuition reimbursement, the Freedom 2 Save student debt program and FreeU education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
This position works out of our Abbott Park, IL location in the GES Global Engineering Services division. This is a day shift position.
Senior Electrician will perform routine switching procedures on metal enclosed switchgear involving voltages of 4160 to 13,200 volts a/c. Will have an understanding of the North Chicago electrical distribution system, the major loads and their characteristics, and how they are supported throughout the plant with duplicated networking. Will demonstrate a thorough understanding of the nature of the processes and the equipment connected to the electrical system. Applies his/her full knowledge of these systems in the performance of troubleshooting, repair, and preventive maintenance of electrical equipment.
What You’ll Work On
- Conduct testing of conductor insulation, transformer coils, circuit breakers and related switchgear on a routine basis using testing equipment such as a turns ratio tester, megger, load tester and ultrasonic sensors.
- Must be able to follow proper procedures, both written and verbal.
- Troubleshoot, repair, and maintain Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS), whether used for Distributive Control Systems (DCS) or emergency lighting, located throughout the plant.
- This includes testing, maintenance of back-up batteries, and preventive maintenance on electronic components.
- Must also be able to perform preventive maintenance testing on transformer mini-zones and back-up generator system.
- Must be knowledgeable in the operation of Soft Starts and Variable Frequency Drives (VFDs).
- Must be able to troubleshoot, repair, and conduct preventive maintenance on these equipment.
- Must be knowledgeable in Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) and Process Controls/DCS or Infrared Thermography.
- Must be able to demonstrate competence in any of these specialized fields in the work setting.
- Trouble shoot, repair, and conduct preventive maintenance on motor control centers.
- Understand motor load characteristics and conduct diagnostic testing on motors both in the energized and de-energized state.
- Demonstrate understanding of Abbott Electrical Standards, NEC, and GMP requirements pertaining to the equipment in the assigned zone.
- Applies his/her full knowledge of these requirements in the conduct of his/her function.
- Must know basic CMMS(Computerized Maintenance Management System) functions and how to use various queries pertaining to maintenance activities such as ordering parts.
- Must have a high school education or equivalent.
- 3-5 or more years of related experience in a commercial or industrial work environment, which may include completion of an accredited electrical apprenticeship program.
- Qualified to work at up to 600v
- Completed an accredited electrical apprenticeship or equivalent.
- Must be able to work with little to no supervision
- Great Customer Service Skills
* Participants who complete a short wellness assessment qualify for FREE coverage in our HIP PPO medical plan. Free coverage applies in the next calendar year.
Learn more about our health and wellness benefits, which provide the security to help you and your family live full lives: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that can help you build your future and live your best life. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
The base pay for this position is $21.40 – $42.60 per hour. In specific locations, the pay range may vary from the range posted.
- emergency lighting
- circuit breakers
- preventive maintenance
- electrical distribution
- variable frequency drives
- motor control
- infrared thermography
- testing equipment
- medical devices
- uninterruptible power supply
- control systems
Who We Are
PUT YOUR TALENTS TO WORK
Abbott values the leadership skills developed through military service and we have a broad range of functional areas to put your talents to work. Our organization is making a difference in the lives of the people we serve with a diverse offering of healthcare products. We have a strong veteran employee community to help with your transition from the military to the corporate world.