EHS Specialist - Tipp City Plant (Night Shift, M-F) Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Tipp City, OH, US
40 hours per week
Abbott is a global healthcare leader, creating breakthrough science to improve people’s health. We’re always looking towards the future, anticipating changes in medical science and technology.
Abbott’s Nutrition Division develops science-based nutrition products for people of all ages, from helping babies and children grow, to keeping adult bodies strong and active. Millions of people around the world count on our leading brands – including Similac®, PediaSure®, Pedialyte®, Ensure®, Glucerna® and ZonePerfect® – to help get the nutrients they need to live their healthiest life.
With state-of-the-art equipment and advanced automation, Abbott’s Tipp City, Ohio, facility was named Food Engineering Magazine’s “2017 Plant of the Year.” Working here, you’ll feel part of a family – a family of 275 that works together to help nourish the world.
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Fast paced work environment where your safety is our priority
- Production areas that are clean, well-lit and temperature-controlled
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs, Medical Benefits start day 1
- Vacation – 3 weeks accrued vacation (1st yr is prorated) + vacation buy program + 3 personal days + 10 paid holidays
- Company Paid Pension Plan
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match of 5%
- Tuition reimbursement, the Freedom 2 Save student debt program and FreeU education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
As the night shift Environmental, Healthy, and Safety (EHS) Specialist, you’ll have the chance to lead and support EHS management in the development, implementation and monitoring of programs and policies to ensure compliance with federal, state and local environmental, health and safety regulations.
What You’ll Work On
- Facilitates the investigation and timely identification of incident root cause and corrective action and actively support injury prevention initiatives.
- Monitors the workplace environment by analyzing work processes, materials, equipment and the work habits of employees and ensures appropriate corrective action is taken where hazards exits.
- Develops and oversees EHS training programs for employees in areas such as employee-right-to-know, hazardous material handling, laser safety, emergency response, industrial hygiene, and life safety.
- Plans and schedules work to meet deadlines established by others to ensure the completion of several related tasks. Works independently most of the time and uses judgment in data analysis to develop and design solutions to difficult health and safety problems.
- Performs traditional EHS duties such as job safety analyses, health and safety training, workplace incident investigations, workplace safety inspections and internal audits as directed. Supports EHS team in the management of all hazardous material and hazardous waste activities including the collection, transportation and disposal of all hazardous waste in compliance with all applicable regulations.
- Reviews new hazardous materials and checks incoming material for SDS’s, unique usage and storage characteristics. Works with end user to ensure proper usage and disposal. Provides guidance as necessary. Supports the EHS Manager in the management of all hazardous material and hazardous waste activities including the collection, transportation and disposal of all hazardous waste in compliance with all applicable regulations. Reviews and maintains MSDS data system an inventory.
- upports EHS management in conducting reviews for facility modification, new product development, product modification and new equipment/machinery as directed.
- Provides On call support for EHS emergencies. Leads the management in the maintenance of the facility’s Emergency Response Plan.
- Supports ISO 14001 process and its maintenance. Serves as a resource to division management and EHS staff on matters relating to occupational health and safety, environmental compliance, fire protection and loss prevention.
- Responsible for assigned duties and tasks as defined by the EMS
- Supports EHS team and under the direction of manager, act as a liaison with appropriate regulatory agencies and may provide input to federal, state and local regulators through industry groups for the writing and revision of regulations.
- Works under the supervision of the Sr. EHS Manager, while independently working and solving day-to-day problems.
- Applies professional health and safety principles, theories and concepts and uses independent judgment to develop and design imaginative, thorough and practical solutions to difficult health and safety issues.
- Coordinates employee exposure monitoring activities for chemical and physical agents, including performing Industrial Hygiene (IH) sampling and supporting the activities of contract Industrial Hygienists, chemical spill remediation specialists, and other safety consultants as required.
- Conducts and coordinates ergonomic risk assessments and making appropriate corrective action recommendations.
- Supports EHS management in the gathering of data for the establishment of report metrics pertinent to EHS activities.
- Facilitates Safety Committee meetings and ensure their ongoing operation and benefit.
- Support all Company initiatives as identified by management and in support of Quality Management Systems (QMS), Environmental Management Systems (EMS), and other regulatory requirements.
- Complies with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, Company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments. Maintains positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors.
This is a NIGHT SHIFT position and will provide EHS oversight and support for the night shift employees Monday through Friday.
- Bachelors Degree in Occupational Health and Safety or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- 5+ years experience in Environmental Health and Safety field with both hands on and program management
- Ability to navigate and interpret EHS regulations.
- Expected to function with little direction and be able to independently drive complex projects to completion.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple projects and daily responsibilities.
- Experience working in a broader enterprise/cross-division business unit model preferred.
- Ability to work in a highly matrixed and geographically diverse business environment.
- Ability to work within a team and as an individual contributor in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Ability to leverage and/or engage others to accomplish projects.
- Strong verbal and written communications with ability to effectively communicate at multiple levels in the organization.
- Multitasks, prioritizes and meets deadlines in timely manner.
- Strong organizational and follow-up skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Ability to travel, including internationally.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
* Participants who complete a short wellness assessment qualify for FREE coverage in our HIP PPO medical plan. Free coverage applies in the next calendar year.
Learn more about our health and wellness benefits, which provide the security to help you and your family live full lives: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that can help you build your future and live your best life. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity and a Military/Veteran Friendly employer.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
The base pay for this position is $56,700.00 – $113,300.00. In specific locations, the pay range may vary from the range posted.
- safety committee
- life safety
- job safety
- environmental compliance
- workplace safety
- hazardous material handling
- emergency response
- laser safety
- industrial hygiene
- drug administration
- works independently
- program management
- division management
- injury prevention
- quality management systems
- ability to effectively communicate
- iso 14001
- hazardous material
- ehs management
Who We Are
PUT YOUR TALENTS TO WORK
Abbott values the leadership skills developed through military service and we have a broad range of functional areas to put your talents to work. Our organization is making a difference in the lives of the people we serve with a diverse offering of healthcare products. We have a strong veteran employee community to help with your transition from the military to the corporate world.