Controls Technician Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Abbott Park, IL, US
Customer & Technical Support
40 hours per week
About Abbott Diagnostics
The key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast, accurate diagnosis. Abbott’s life-changing tests and diagnostic tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and transform the way the world is managing health.
Our pioneering technology spans the world of healthcare operations — with medical diagnostic instruments, tests, automation, and informatics solutions for hospitals, reference labs, blood centers, emergency departments, physician offices, and clinics.
What we offer:
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
· Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
· Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives, and retirement plans
· Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness, and occupational health programs
· Paid time off
· 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
· Pension Plan (exceptions may apply)
· The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and a history of being actively involved in local communities
· On-site cafeteria, fitness center, and daycare center (Abbott Park Office only)
Our location in Lake Bluff, IL currently has an opportunity for an Engineering Technician I.
What you'll do:
The Engineering Technician within Abbott Diagnostics will provide technician support for Engineering Department projects and other activities, such as, but not limited to, machine shop operations, material (commodity, packaging, etc.) testing, manufacturing, process and laboratory equipment / Instrumentation installation, startup and qualification, and related facilities activities. Provide guidance to other Abbott Technicians and outside contractors to essure a timely and correct completion of assigned activities.
· Must be capable of working independently and resolving design conflicts and/or ambiguous instructions.
· Must work well with multi-disciplined engineers and scientists in understanding task requirements and communicating to other project technicians.
· Must be able to adapt to changing requirements and meet project commitments without sacrificing workmanship quality.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
· High School Diploma and two years successful completion of a trade school - OR -
· Junior College (or apprenticeship) certification in their selected field.
· Six (6) years of related experience may be substituted for the two-year certificate. The six years may not be counted twice for both education and experience.
· Must be capable of good verbal and written communication skills.
· Must have excellent interpersonal skills to successfully interface with production, engineering staff, and various development and maintenance groups.
· Must be a self-starter, capable of organizing his/her work as well as the work of assigned Abbott technical persons, and or outside contractors.
· Must be capable of providing technical assistance in his/her selected area as well as recommend alternatives to the lead engineer or development person.
· Must be capable of providing training to production operators in the use of equipment.
· Must have a minimum of 8 years of on-the-job experience in the technical support area specific to the selected field.
Preferred / Ideal Experience, Education, etc.:
· Hands-on electrical or mechanical skills /experience out of any of the following manufacturing companies/industries, eg. medical device, medical diagnostics products, Defense/Aerospace, Aviation, Automotive, Food & Beverage, and/or Pharmaceutical.
· Mechanical or Electrical Engineering degree
· Knowledge of PLC programming (e.g. Rockwell, or similar)
· Knowledge of CAD, AUTOCAD, and/or Solidworks (reviewing, creating, and approving drawings).
· Strong fluency in English and Spanish a plus.
· Knowledge of Maximo and/or SAP.
· Be familiar with tools within the Continuous Improvement (e.g. 6 Sigma, Lean, Kaizen, etc.) and participate in problem resolution.
· Ability to manage multiple tasks and know how to prioritize the workday.
· ‘Out-of-the-box’ thinking and problem-solving.
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Our location in Abbott Park (Lake Bluff), IL currently has an opportunity for an Engineering Technician.
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
The base pay for this position is $27.50 – $54.50 per hour. In specific locations, the pay range may vary from the range posted.
- technical support
- mechanical skills
- electrical engineering
- continuous improvement
- development and maintenance
- technical assistance
- plc programming
- laboratory equipment
- verbal and written communication
- problem resolution
Who We Are
PUT YOUR TALENTS TO WORK
Abbott values the leadership skills developed through military service and we have a broad range of functional areas to put your talents to work. Our organization is making a difference in the lives of the people we serve with a diverse offering of healthcare products. We have a strong veteran employee community to help with your transition from the military to the corporate world.