Automation Engineer / Controls Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Casa Grande, AZ, US
Yes, 10 % of the Time
40 hours per week
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 115,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Nourish the world and your career as part of the Nutrition team at Abbott.
Our Nutrition business develops science-based nutrition products for people of all ages, from helping babies and children grow, to keeping adult bodies strong and active. Millions of people around the world count on our leading brands – including Similac®, PediaSure®, Pedialyte®, Ensure®, Glucerna® and ZonePerfect® – to help get the nutrients they need to live their healthiest life.
Casa Grande, Ariz., is one of Abbott’s leading nutrition manufacturing plants in the U.S., reflecting our commitment to innovation and excellence. But we’re more than just a company, we’re a family. Working here you’ll be part of a family that works together to make a difference and enhance the lives of millions worldwide.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Production areas that are clean, well-lit and temperature-controlled
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs, Medical Benefits start day 1
- Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
- Vacation – 3 weeks of accrued vacation (1st yr is prorated) + vacation buy program + 3 personal days + 10 paid holidays.
- Company Paid Pension Plan
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- Tuition reimbursement, the Freedom 2 Save student debt program and FreeU education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
- A stable company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities.
SCHEDULE: Day Shift
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Automation Engineer /Controls Engineer will provide process controls support for manufacturing operation. Investigates and resolves production problems involving equipment software and hardware failures. Applies engineering and scientific principles to the evaluation and solution of technical problems.
Designs and develops Capital Projects to upgrade equipment/software/hardware related to production systems. Exercises technical judgment in planning, organizing, performing, coordinating and/or directing engineering work. Performs engineering studies. Identifies and routinely uses the most effective, cost efficient and best practices to find solutions to the existing problems and execute processes; continually evaluates their effectiveness and appropriateness. Comply with the plant established Validation procedures, document and communicate changes with Operation, Quality, Engineering and Maintenance teams.
Technical / Design:
- Experience in programming PLC Logic, HMI, VFD and Industrial Networks (Allen Bradley).
- Experience in DeltaV process control, Fieldbus and Hart Communicator is a plus.
- Experience in Vision/Inspection Systems such as Keyence, Cognex and Mettler Toledo Checkweigher.
- Maintenance of process control systems within the designated area.
- Manage control systems – hardware and software design, upgrade and conversion.
- Work toward process optimization through development of new control strategies.
Problem Solving / Innovation:
- Equipment and controls troubleshooting skills and problem resolution.
- Analyze line control issues and identify the corrective actions to improve performance and prevent reoccurrences.
- Recognizes and implements good ideas / innovations / cost reductions.
- Continuously and consistently generate optimized workable solutions to improve process and equipment performances.
- Assist with strategic planning including productivity, reliability and capital planning processes.
- Identifies and resolves hardware/software performance discrepancies/deficiencies between new system design requirements and the system capabilities.
- Interfaces frequently with inter-organizational and outside customer contacts.
- Initiates and cultivates open, honest relationships with colleagues, customers, contractors, and vendors by establishing rapport, developing an understanding of others’ needs, promoting common goals, and following through on commitments.
- Resolves underlying problems. Identifies full range of customer/ client needs and proposes solutions to address them; makes alterations in products or services to better meet (recognized or unrecognized) customer need.
- Complies with all regulations and standards for quality, Environmental, Health, Safety, and Energy (EHS&E) Global Policies, Abbott Engineering Standards, and other governance areas as applicable.
- Ensures quality and effectiveness of assigned tasks.
- Has awareness of the potential consequences (defects and failure modes) of design changes to established processes.
- Identifies areas of risk with respect to compliance.
- Develops procedures and standards.
- Coordinates with maintenance personnel to conduct informal training and transfer of knowledge on regular basis on existing and new equipment used in production line.
- Directs the efforts of others such as technicians and outside resources.
- Document changes to Functional Specification as the result of process or equipment modifications, document programming changes, provide analytical assessment on the impact of a proposed process or logic change that could affect safety or alter the product quality.
- Resolves problems, such as production process deviations, vendor deviations from specification, urgent out-of-stock replacements, and crisis situations requiring fast, astute decisions with rapid implementation by utilizing technical training and experience.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Electronic Engineering, or Manufacturing, or Mechanical engineering.
- 4 years' work experience in automation control systems. Demonstrated expertise in managing control systems including hardware/software, industrial networks, control system design and analysis.
- Have the ability to read and modify P&IDs, Electrical drawings and control.
- High attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Able to manage multiple tasks and prioritize to meet deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of DC/AC Drives, Industrial Networks and PLC Programming (DCS is a plus).
- Troubleshooting skills, transfer of knowledge and customer support.
- Project and program management skills in a cross-functional setting is a plus.
- Knowledge of statistics and statistical process control is a plus.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft products including Excel, Word and Power Point (MS Project is a plus).
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity and Military/Veteran friendly Employer, committed to employee diversity.
The base pay for this position is $71,300.00 – $142,700.00. In specific locations, the pay range may vary from the range posted.
- automation control systems
- process optimization
- mechanical engineering
- process control systems
- control systems
- product quality
- production systems
- capital projects
- production process
- industrial networks
- statistical process control
- system design
- control system design
- deltav process control
- plc programming
- electronic engineering
- capital planning
- problem resolution
- software design
- customer support
- electrical drawings
- program management
Who We Are
PUT YOUR TALENTS TO WORK
Abbott values the leadership skills developed through military service and we have a broad range of functional areas to put your talents to work. Our organization is making a difference in the lives of the people we serve with a diverse offering of healthcare products. We have a strong veteran employee community to help with your transition from the military to the corporate world.